“Breathe, Doctor Yang. Don’t be crass. You are skulking. Women of your generation are graceless. It’s an affront to nature. Mediocre surgeons will see you and feel themselves wilting in your shadow. Do not shrink to console them. Do not look for friends here, you won’t find them. None of these people have the capacity to understand you. They never will. If you’re lucky, one day when you’re old and shriveled like me, you’ll find a young doctor with little regard for anything but their craft. And you’ll train them like I trained you. Until then, read a good book. You have greatness in you Yang. Don’t disappoint.”
Grey’s Anatomy 9×05
Forget Meredith and Derek. The true OTP of Grey’s Anatomy has always been Meredith and Cristina. And this episode was a lovely tribute to the enduring nature of their friendship. Sure the Twisted Sisters have been through their ups and downs (Remember the terrible arc when they weren’t speaking at ALL? That was the worst.) but in the end, Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang are soul mates. And soul mates ALWAYS find their way to each other. That’s a fact.
Excuse me while I go vomit from the massive amount of sappiness of that last sentence. #notsorry
We’ve been waiting all season for Cristina’s (inevitable) return to Seattle. I had a feeling it would happen during November Sweeps. The question was how it would happen. There was a big theory on Twitter that Cristina’s new bestie Mr. Feeny (erm…Dr. Thomas) was going to get fired and that he and Cristina were going to go to Seattle together. Well, we all know that Shonda Rhimes is the cruelest…so that is not what happened. Spoilers abound after the jump…
I had guessed it would happen. Feeny WAS old after all, and Cristina never failed to remind us of the fact. And it felt like throughout the episode, he KNEW his time was limited as he kept spewing pearls of wisdom at Cristina that had me flailing about on my couch with emotion. Seriously…when they were in the OR and talking about whose name would be listed first when they publish and he said “I want to be known as the one who trained you,” I wrote down “Mr. Feeny, you are FLAWLESS.” Dr. Thomas was exactly what Cristina needed at this point in her life and her career. It was amazing to see her find a true mentor and someone who also forced her to soften up a bit. But still…when he keeled over in the MIDDLE OF SURGERY my reaction on Twitter was thus:
“WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK, GREY’S??”
I mean…hasn’t Cristina Yang been through ENOUGH?
And as Dr. Thomas was the only thing keeping her in Minnesota (sorry Rex Van de Camp or whatever your name was) his death gave Cristina to ability to get on a plane and go back to where she belongs. And she returns to Seattle a better surgeon and a different person. Her reunion with Meredith at the end of the episode should have melted even the coldest of hearts.
Other thoughts on the episode…
– I did love hearing Mer and Cristina’s inner monologues. Cristina’s “I’m not a spoon, I’m a knife, and I’m going to stab you in the eyeball.” = priceless. And the way Rex SAID the “Are you the big spoon or the little spoon?” made me cringe…and I am someone with a high tolerance for sappy stuff like that.
– I loved seeing Meredith being a mom to Zola all episode. How FAR she has come from the dark and twisty days of S1 and S2 (which I watched a handful of those episodes over the course of Hurricane Sandy. Can we all agree on the utter flawlessness of Season 2?)
– The episode, as it was a love letter to the Twisted Sisters, was pretty light on the rest of the cast, but when we saw them, they all had great moments. I am loving Callie Torres this season and quite enjoying her blooming friendship with Meredith. Remember when they used to hate each other? And Bailey’s character path continues to be fixed. I loved her recognizing Meredith’s stress and passing on her list of approved babysitters. I love these doctors taking care of each other!
– “You know what we need now? A 30 second dance party.” “What?” “Dance or you’re fired.” AMAZING. And nice call backs to earlier days. I love that Meredith will forever need to dance it out. I also loved Cristina stocking up on tequila. Some things never change.
– “Breathe. When you stop breathing, you stop thinking.” Words to live by! All of Cristina’s scenes with Dr. Thomas were flawless. They had such a lovely chemistry, and I am so so so so sad to see him go.
– There were many parallels between Meredith’s patient of the week and her sister Lexie (RIP). They had the same types of injuries and the actresses were even doppelgängers. The fact that Meredith was able to SAVE this patient helped her to continue to get closure on her plane crash ordeal. And it was amazing seeing Meredith Grey being a BAMF when everyone else thought that the patient was beyond saving. And the end where the patient recounted the moments following her accident and recognizing that Meredith was there? Tears.
– Owen holing the increasingly adorable baby Zola? SWOON.
– Requisite comment bitching that Sandra Oh doesn’t have an Emmy and now will NEVER WIN ONE (as the Emmys are CLEARLY over Grey’s). Katie Heigl stole Sandra’s Emmy. Yeah. I said it. That’s a travesty.
That’s all she wrote, Grey’s Fans. What are your feels? How shocked were you by Dr. Thomas’ demise? And how excited are you to see Cristina kicking intern butt next week??