It is Truth Day here at Head Over Feels. We’re currently running a poll on our Facebook page asking you to confess your pop culture blind spots (For the record, mine are Seinfeld and The Sopranos) and now I am making the following confession:
I love Celine Dion.
And you love her too. For some reason, you’re just afraid to admit it.
Because I like making lists, I’m going to give you the top 10 reasons why Celine is FLAWLESS and all your arguments are invalid.
1) Celine was the QUEEN of power ballad movie theme songs in the 90’s. See Sleepless in Seattle, Up Close and Personal, Titanic and the song that was her big international breakthrough, “Beauty and the Beast”…aka my favorite Disney movie of ALL TIME.
2) Speaking of “My Heart Will Go On”, I feel like that is when people started to hate on Celine, because it became cool to hate Titanic. Jealous much? I firmly believe all those people who claim to hate Titanic actually cried like babies when they saw it and were embarrassed by that fact. I will defend Titanic to my DYING DAY, people. YES, the song was overplayed. YES it is a bombastic and overwrought and saccharine power ballad to end all power ballads. AND IT IS AWESOME. Even haters will admit they know all the words. And it is nigh impossible not to burst into song at that bridge: “You’re heeeeere there’s NOOOOOOOOTHING I fear! And I knoooooooow that my heart will go on! We’ll staaaaaay FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER this way…”
Sorry. I got swept away by the sheer awesomeness for a moment.
Also, this performance at the Oscars is amazing. Everything about it, from wearing the freaking Heart of the Ocean to the way she beats her chest during the bridge. Celine is often a bit ridiculous when she performs, but you know what? She’s allowed to be. Because she is singing LIVE and sings every note perfectly and sounds exactly like the studio recording.
Also “My Heart Will Go On” winning the Oscar prompted one of Madonna’s bitchiest moments EVER. Your jealousy is showing, Madge.
3) “Cause I’m your laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaady and you are my maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!”
I am obsessed with the orchestrations in this song. DRUMS. Also, WORK that mini-dress, gurl.
4) Celine’s music scored the most memorable number in the history of So You Think You Can Dance. One and done.
5) Even Saturday Night Live knows that she is the greatest singer of all time.
PS How brilliant is Ana Gasteyer?
6) “Let me beeeeeeeeeeee the one to love yoooooooooooooou more…”
I know I keep harping on how Celine sounds live, but it is truly extraordinary. She clearly recognizes what a gift her voice is and she takes care of it, unlike some of the other divas of her day did (RIP Whitney). She sounds as good now as she did in the 90’s and that’s a testament to her awesomeness. Also, she can wear a jumpsuit like no one’s business. And I love the way she tries to interact with the violinist (who is also a bad ass) in this performance.
7) Celine often finds herself overwhelmed by her feels. Which is why she is us.
8) She basically recorded a Bubblegum Boy Band song and then performed it with *N SYNC you guys.
My love for this song is eternal. And that’s the way it is.
9) Epically over-dramatic music videos. “I can barely recall but it’s all coming back to me nooooooooooooooow…” Also the drums at “But you were history at the slamming of the door” = spectacular.
Also is it me or is this video full of Weeping Angels? Don’t blink.
10) She’s sold over 200 million records worldwide. So clearly I am not the only one who adores her.
Go on, admit it. You love her too.